Pad-Woman of India, Maya Vishwakarma. Native from a small village in Narsinghpur district of Madhya Pradesh. She was unaware of the existence of sanitary napkins until the age of 26, resulting in various health issues. Therefore at the age of 36, she decided to work in the field of menstruation hygiene so that no other woman will suffer through such situations as her.
Maya left her job as a cancer researcher in California and came back to the country. Talking about her adolescence to PTI, she said,“I was told to use a cloth by a woman relative during my first period.
This had caused several infections. Talking about menstrual health is still a taboo in our society. My experiences in early life inspired me to work in this field.”
Maya started Sukarma Foundation in her hometown four years ago after coming to India. Her foundation spreads awareness about menstruation and its taboos, at the same time, the foundation also manufactures sanitary napkins at a low and affordable cost and give them to these women. Through it, she creates awareness about the importance of using sanitary napkins and also manufactures and provides them to women at an affordable price.
The Fund was required for-
- To set up a manufacturing facility of sanitary napkins. The manufacturing facility will allow to produce biodegradable sanitary napkins in an affordable way. The machine costs around Rs. 4 Lacs.
- Prepare SUV loaded with awareness printed material, projector, laptop, screen, battery, sound system, pamphlets sanitary pad, and other essential materials.
- For the training of employees.
- Creating awareness via Seminars, workshops educating the rural women about vaginal hygiene, and proper use of these biodegradable pads.
Here comes the Crowdera-
Maya contacted us for the crowdfunding. As Crowdera has always been a supportive platform for such initiatives, we immediately got the campaign on board.
We helped Maya with-
- Content Creation
- Donor support
- Digital Marketing
- 24*7 customer support
- PR Support
- No Time Limit- Premium Campaign support.
- Team Enrollment support.
- With our free and secured crowdfunding website, she has raised around ₹1.90 Lakhs and counting.
You can contribute to support her at- gocrowdera.com/sanitary-napkin
- About 2.5 million women have switched from using rags and old cloth to using hygienic sanitary napkins.
- It has also provided a means of livelihood to many poor women.
- It is expected that the usage of napkins, along with increased awareness, would reduce the incidence of women being treated as social outcasts during their menstrual cycle. This would, in turn, improve their sense of dignity and also help women spend their time more productively.
- In the two years since she started, she has already affected the lives of more than 2,000 women.
We feel extremely proud to be a part of this initiative which helped many school-going girls and their parents to understand menstruation. It helped raise awareness for the same! We at Crowdera assure you to continue our work with full throttle to bring a productive and progressive change in the society.